Here are some notes from UNC's third loss in four games.
- Georgia Tech leads series 19-16-3.
- Georgia Tech has now won five straight over the Tar Heels. Previous four games: 28-21, 42-28, 31-24, 43-21.
- Prior to Tech's winning streak against the Heels, UNC had won five of six over the Jackets.
- With the loss, UNC is now 0-3 at home this year, and has lost four of its last six home games (to Wake Forest 32-31, Miami, OH 27-21 and Texas, 52-21). UNC defeated Duke 52-17 and SMU 19-10 to close out the regular season at home last fall.
- UNC has now lost four of its last five ACC openers.
- Since 1995, UNC is 6-6 following a bye week, including 1-2 under John Bunting.
- Sam Aiken's three receptions give him 97 for his career, which places him 11th in school history. Next in line: Bob Lacy (102) and Art Weiner (106).
- Darian Durant's 230 passing yards gives him 2,694 for his career, good for 10th all-time in school history. Next on the list: Rod Elkins (2,707) and Oscar Davenport (3,090).
- Durant's 14 completions gives him 209 for his career, good for 11th on UNC's all-time list. Next in line: Todd Burnett (214), and Oscar Davenport (251).
- Durant's touchdown pass gives him 22 for his career, which puts him tied for 9th in Carolina history with Mike Thomas. Next in line: Charlie Justice (25), Rod Elkins (25), Jason Stanicek (26), Ronald Curry (28), Scott Sankavage (30), Matt Kupec (33), Chris Keldorf (35).
- Entering today's game, both the Yellow Jackets and Tar Heels were the only ACC teams without a defensive or special teams touchdown. The league leaders before Saturday's game: N.C. State (5), Virginia (3), FSU (2), Clemson, Duke Maryland and Wake Forest (1).
- Entering this weekend's games, the Tar Heels were last in the ACC in the Red Zone, with a success rate of 62.5 percent. The rest of the conference before Thursday and Saturday's games: Georgia Tech 14-14 (13 TDs, 1 FG), Duke 7-8 (4 TDs, 3 FGs), Maryland 13-15 (10 TDs, 3 FGs), Clemson 14-17 (10 TDs, 4 FGs), N.C. State 24-30 (21 TDs, 3 FGs), FSU 20-25 (16 TDs, 4 FGs), Virginia 15-19 (15 TDs, 0 FGs), Wake Forest 13-20 (13 TDs, 2 FGs). UNC is 5-8 with 5 TDs and no FGs.
Senior writer Andrew Jones is in his seventh year with Inside Carolina.
He hosts a late afternoon radio show on ESPN Radio, WMFD AM630 in Wilmington
and can be reached via e-mail at: AndrewJones@AM630.net.