CHAPEL HILL - North Carolina showed some grit on Saturday night, but Texas showed off its array of All-American talent and rolled past the Tar Heels, 52-21, before a sellout crowd of 60,500 fans at Kenan Stadium.
Here are some notes from UNC's second loss in three games. Texas is 2-0.
- Texas leads series 6-3.
- UNC's previous results against the Longhorns: 1947, L (34-0), 1948, W (34-7), 1951, L (45-20), 1952, L (28-7), 1980, W (16-7), 1982, W (26-10), 1994, L (35-31), 2001, L (44-14).
- Three times UNC and Texas have met in bowl games: 1980 (Bluebonnet in Houston), 1982 Sun Bowl (El Paso), 1994 (Sun Bowl).
- UNC's record against all other Big XII schools: Baylor (0-0), Colorado (0-0), Iowa State (0-0), Kansas (2-0), Kansas State (0-0), Missouri (0-2), Nebraska (0-1), Oklahoma (0-7), Oklahoma State (0-0), Texas (3-5), Texas A&M (0-0), Texas Tech (2-1).
- Mack Brown is now 40-16 at Texas. He was 69-46-1 at UNC.
- Under Brown, Texas is now 34-0 when out-rushing opponent; 18-0 when rushing for 200-plus yards; 32-1 when gaining 400-plus yards; 30-2 when scoring first; 28-4 when forcing more turnovers; 24-4 when passing for more than 250 yards; 38-5 when scoring more than 20 points; and 36-5 when leading at halftime.
- Texas' 52 points is the most an opponents has ever scored against the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill.
- With the defeat, UNC still hasn't defeated a team ranked higher than No. 6 in the Associated Press poll. UNC defeated No. 6 Florida State last year, No. 6 Duke in 1960, and No. 6 Navy in 1957.
- UNC against ranked opponents by decade: 1930s (2-5-2), 1940s (4-12), 1950s (3-20), 1960s (4-7), 1970s (9-15-1), 1980s (2-21-2), 1990s (10-29-1), 2000s (2-6), overall (36-110-4).
- Sam Aiken has 32 receptions for 652 yards and five TDs in his last five regular season games.
- Aiken's three receptions give him 94 for his career, which is tied with Charlie Carr for 11th in school history. Next in line: Bob Lacy (102) and Art Weiner (106).
- Darian Durant's 158 passing yards gives him 2,564 for his career, good for 11th all-time in school history. Next on the list: Jack Cummings (2,686) and Rod Elkins (2,707).
- Durant's 12 completions gives him 195 for his career, good for 13th on the school's career list. Next in line: Danny Talbott (196), Rod Elkins (204), Todd Burnett (214), Oscar Davenport (251).
- Durant's lone TD pass gives him 21 for his career, which puts him 10th in UNC history. Next in line: Mike Thomas (22), Charlie Justice (25), Rod Elkins (25), Charlie Justice (25), Jason Stanicek (26), Ronald Curry (28), Scott Stankavage (30), Matt Kupec (33), Chris Keldorf (35).
- UNC players from Texas: OG Jeb Terry (Dallas), LB Leon Scroggins (Dallas).
- Prior to Saturday's action in the ACC, UNC was tied with Florida State for playing the most true freshmen in games. Virginia was first with 13, UNC and FSU 7, Duke 6, Maryland and N.C. State 5, Georgia Tech 3, Wake Forest 2, Clemson 1.
- The 8 p.m. start was the first official night start under the lights at Kenan Stadium since Sept. 26, 1998, when the Heels hosted Georgia Tech on ESPN. That game started at 7:45 p.m. UNC did host Tulsa and Marshall for evening starts (6 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. respectively) during the 2000 season, but both games began in daylight, not under the lights.
Senior writer Andrew Jones is in his seventh year with Inside Carolina. He hosts a late afternoon radio show on ESPN Radio, WMFD AM630 in Wilmington and can be reached via e-mail at: AndrewJones@AM630.net.